As we transition into life after self-isolation, it may be tough to find enough time or opportunities to stay active and stay motivated to exercise. We are all in the same boat, so the HOBs have got you covered with the inaugural Step It Up NSG challenge - a month-long tournament starting on this Monday (25th May) aimed at increasing your step count in day-to-day activities.
It is open to the whole NSG community - students, staff and parents - to give everyone an opportunity to consciously engage in more physical activity, with some healthy competition.
The tournament will run over the next month and your steps will accumulate towards your team total and ranking. Students will be placed into teams according to their house group. Parents will have their own team and so will staff.
In addition, participants will be able to interact with family and friends, challenging each other to achieve individual step goals as well as attaining virtual badges for reaching milestones.
To get involved, follow these 3 easy steps:
- Sign up by creating an account on the 10,000 steps website (https://www.10000steps.org.au/accounts/signup/). Even if you don’t have regular access to the internet at home, there is an option to register as an offline participant.
- Fill out the appropriate form
- Parents: (https://forms.gle/9SQuMubxNvrn8B7j7)
- Staff: (https://forms.gle/2GErNdQkmDFymFzx6)
- Step it up! Make sure to log all of your steps either by downloading the free mobile app https://apps.apple.com/au/app/10-000-steps/id1230221426 (automatically syncs your steps) or on the website (manually enter your steps). Don’t forget to carry your phone or pedometer when you get active.
Every step counts, so here are some very simple ways to increase your step count:
- Go on a local walking trail
- Walk the dog
- Take breaks to move around, set an alarm to remind you to hop up
- Park further away from the supermarket
- Take the stairs
- Organise a time before or after work or school
- Volunteer for a coffee run
- Vacuum the house
Sign up now and Step It Up!