The 2020 NSW Philosothon (Sydney) will be held on Saturday 20th June at North Sydney Girls High School as part of the NSW Festival of Philosophy. If you would like to participate please register here: REGISTRATION FORM. You will then receive an information pack with more specific details.
Growth and Changes
In response to feedback from students, teachers and judges who have found the Philosothon very worthwhile overall, we have made modifications to address the following:
- There were concerns that talented individual students could not progress to the final unless their team was successful in the elimination rounds.
- Solution: The entire event will take place on one day from 9 AM to 5 PM and all students will participate in ALL COI’s.
- Due to the need to provide so many facilitators and judges on one day, schools wishing to participate will be required to provide one certified facilitator.
- The scoring of questions will not count towards team totals this year and the topic will be provided in the stimulus.
- The rubric and judging remains the same as last year but depending on how many schools participate we may have to reduce the number of judges in some rounds where experienced judges will mark on their own.
- Judges feedback will be verbal and general at the conclusion of each COI.
Format: 3COI’s – 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon
- 9:00 ~ 9:30 Registration
- 9:30 ~ 10:30 COI 1
- 11:00 ~ 11:30 COI 2
- 12:00 ~ 12:30 Lunch
- 12:30 ~ 2:00 Symposium
- 2:00 ~ 3:00 COI 3
- 3:00 ~ 4:15 The Inquisition (Judges Q&A Panel)
- 4:30 ~ 5:00 Awards/Photographs
One team per school
- One 13 year old as at 1/1/2020
- One 14 year old as at 1/1/2020
- One 15 year old as at 1/1/2020
- One 16 year old as at 1/1/2020
There will be 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th places awarded in each age division as well as overall team placings of 1st 2nd and 3rd.
Every student receives a participation pin, if they are not a placegetter.
$200 per school
Includes Lunch, Prizes and Administrative costs.
From 2019-2021, the NSW Philosothon will be hosted by North Sydney
Girls High School. The local organiser will be Greg Henshaw.
If you are interested to participate, please submit the email address of the organising teacher and the name of your school in this form. The local organiser (Greg Henshaw) will correspond with all schools in early 2020.