The Advanced Practice Certificate aims to enhance and refine teacher practice.
Downloadable Flyer Here
Prerequisites: A FAPSA introductory Certificate plus 6 months of practice.
Contact hours: 18 hours over three days
Course content: The Advanced Practice Certificate aims to extend the participant’s capacity in three areas: (1) improving facilitation / assessment skills, (2) the creation of classroom materials, and (3) understanding and using philosophy. Broadly speaking, these three components correspond to teaching practice, lesson preparation, and background knowledge.
Day 1 Achieving Ethical Understanding through Philosophical Inquiry
Shows how to use philosophical inquiry to build ethical understanding. Special attention will be paid to:
- The role of the classroom facilitator with the aim of maintaining the focus and rigour of inquiry
- The incorporation of thinking tools and social skill building
- Showing how to support lessons through creating discussion plans
DAY 2 Developing Knowledge and Understanding through Philosophical Inquiry
Explores what is involved in students coming to have genuine knowledge and shows how to deepen student understanding of major concepts. Special attention will be paid to:
- The use of questioning to promote deeper knowledge and understanding
- Learning how to track classroom discussion to support student metacognition
- Identifying rich concepts and creating conceptual activities and skill-building exercises
DAY 3 Improving student reasoning through Philosophical Inquiry
Introduces basic forms of reasoning and shows how to incorporate them into thinking about various kinds of subject matter. Special attention will be paid to:
- The basic operations of justification and inference
- The use of deductive and inductive reasoning
- How to map reasoning and construct exercises to improve student proficiency
For more details, and to book please see the flyer